You have found the "BEST" Term Paper site on the Planet!
PLANETPAPERS.COM!

We GUARANTEE that you’ll find an EXEMPLARY College Level Term Paper, Essay, Book Report or Research Paper in seconds or we will write a BRAND NEW paper for you in just a FEW HOURS!!!

150,000+ Papers

Find more results for this search now!
CLICK the BUTTON to the RIGHT!

Please enter a keyword or topic phrase to perform a search.
Need a Brand New Custom Essay Now?  click here

Hypertension

Uploaded by Admin on Jan 22, 1999

Hypertension is the medical term for high blood pressure. A normal blood pressure is 120/80. A blood pressure reading higher or equal to 140/90 is considered abnormally high. Elevated blood pressure means your heart is working harder than normal, putting both your heart and arteries under great strain. High blood pressure is serious business. On average, people with uncontrolled hypertension are:

  • Seven times more likely to have a stroke.
  • Six times more likely to develop congestive heart failure.
  • Three times more likely to have a heart attack.
  • Different types of hypertension From my research, I didn't find any other types of hypertension. What are some causes? In 90% of cases, the cause of hypertension is unknown. This is called "essential hypertension". The other 10% of cases is called "secondary hypertension". Secondary hypertension is caused by kidney disease, severe narrowing of the aorta, tumors in the adrenal gland, or hardening of the arteries. There are many factors associated with high blood pressure, including smoking, age, race, a high-salt diet, excessive alcohol consumption, stress, use of birth control pills, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle. what age is at risk? If you are a man from 35 to 50, you are in a high-risk zone for hypertension, this is especially true if hypertension also runs in your family. It is less likely for women to have high-blood pressure, but the risk increases after menopause. Symptoms There are usually no symptoms for hypertension. This is why it is often called the "silent killer". Actually, you could have hypertension for years and not know about because you feel fine. But symptoms do show up if the case is severe. Some of these symptoms are:
  • Headache
  • Nosebleeds
  • Drowsiness
  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
  • Coughing up blood
  • Shortness of breath Health Hazards Hypertension accelerates hardening of the arteries, which may contribute to a stroke or heart attack. This can also lead to brain hemorrhage, kidney failure, heart failure, or blindness. Treatments The best way to treat hypertension is to just change your lifestyle (see Preventive Measures), but many times, patients need other medications and therapies. No more than 2 percent of hypertensive patients can be treated surgically. There are basically four groups of drugs a physician would prescribe a hypertension patient: Diuretics This is usually the first choice a doctor would prescribe. It helps by increasing the rate you body eliminates urine and salt. However, this can also increase your cholesterol level, make you urinate more...

    Sign In Now to Read Entire Essay

    Not a Member?   Create Your FREE Account »

    Comments / Reviews

  • read full paper >>

    Already a Member?   Login Now >

    This paper and THOUSANDS of
    other papers are FREE at PlanetPapers.

    Uploaded by:   Admin

    Date:   01/22/1999

    Category:   Science And Technology

    Length:   3 pages (596 words)

    Views:   3703

    Report this Paper Save Paper
    Professionally written papers on this topic:

    Hypertension

    View more professionally written papers on this topic »